Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Way to go 22!"

When I was riding 38 mph down a 6 mile hill (yes, there was a 6 mile UP hill before this...) a man who was much more Rockstar-ish than myself said "Way to go 22!" My age-- 22-- was written on my left calf , with my race number--504-- written on both arms (this is so they can identify your body if you drown. Awesome. There are still some remains... people at church were looking at me funny. Yes, I could say "Don't worry, its just from my TRIATHLON I did yesterday... and then they thought I was cool) so as he rode by, he figured he'd give me some words of encouragement.

All's I'm Sayin is, it worked. I felt encouraged.

Doing a Triathlon is an interesting thing. You get there, set up your transition area setting up your gear for the bike ride, and then the run and you put on your wetsuit and gather with all the other Freaks who are about to get in freezing cold water to swim.

The swim was pretty hard, and it didn't help that I was getting kicked in the face and had to keep looking up to make sure I was going the right direction. About halfway through I thought it would NEVER be done! But alas, it was, and I finished in about 12 minutes, much better than I hoped for.

The bike was great! Besides the fact that it was a consistent climb uphill for about 35 minutes of 6 miles. Old, fat men passed me and that made me mad, but also very proud of and impressed by them. Everyone is always very friendly, saying "Keep it up!" "You're doing great!" And its nice. I rode my friend Sarah's husbands Bike but wore Sarah's shoes to clip in to the bike. Her shoes are a good size smaller than my feet so my feet were taking a very nice and unappreciated nap about 10 minutes into the bike and didn't wake up until mile 2 of the run.

Awful? Yes.

So. Biking downhill for 6 miles is something I have never experienced. When I saw that I was going 38 mph I about had a heart attack! All I could think about was that at any moment, a rodent could run in front of me, or I could get a flat, and I would DIE. But then I let myself enjoy it for a minute and I subconsciously let out a "WOOOOOOOHOOOO!". It's amazing. Someday I will be legit with my own bike and gear and I will be passing the youngins saying "Way to go!"

The run was supposed to be my best part because I am more trained in running than the other two. BUT because my feet were off in snooze-land, I really didn't do as great as I wanted. But, nonetheless, I finished and in a pretty good time of about 1 hr 35 minutes. Not bad, I think.

Well. I loved it. I'm hooked, I will be a triathlete forever! I want to keep doing them because it's quite a rush. YOU SHOULD DO IT TOO!

Pictures to come.

2 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

You really are a rockstar! Can't believe you were going that fast, terrifying for sure. And even more, can't believe you wore shoes that were too small. And finally..your time was AWESOME, especially for literally no training! You might be my hero.

Totally agree, they are addicting and so fun to do!

RUBY said...

that is so jamazing!!!!!
So awesome so Im a wuss and thought Im gonna start doin run and eventually do a marithon! And Triathalons look off the hook but i dont know if i could do it and i cant bare not finishing something i done start! SO needless to say im starting off with 5k, 10k, ect. So I already looked some runs in hawaii and freakin cant wait! Maybe one day i can do a triathalon with you!!! xoxooxo GOOD JOB!