
The other day I was talking to my friend about my major, Music Dance Theatre. He said the following : "It seems to me that MDT majors are always depressed..." To which I replied, "Really?Hmm... Interesting..." and then we went on to discuss more important matters such as what I would be cooking for dinner and such... since that is what is always most important.
The next morning I was staring at myself through a thousand mirrors in my Ballet Studio at BYU. My apparel: Pink tights, a leotard and ultra-short spandex (it's the only thing I can get away with without getting in trouble) and doing a thousand Plies and I thought "Well Duh! Of COURSE we are depressed... Look at what they put us through!"
My teacher--Bless Her Heart-- then came over and told me my fingers were not rounded enough.
They want me to be perfect. Even down to my fingers. Therefore... Low Self Esteem occurs.
I happen to think my fingers are very nice. Even if I'm not a size 4.
My friend Alyssa puts it perfectly: Forcing students to wear Pink tights and a black leotard is like serving bulimia to the girls at BYU for breakfast.
4 comments:
haha oh dear...I just love you! If you would like to boost your self esteem just come dance next to me. My awkwardness is sure to remind you how brilliant and talented you are. Love you cousin. CALL ME!!!
oh wow. One of your finests sis.
Alyssa knows just how to put everything in perspective.
Precisely why I NEVER took a ballet class for one of my dance requirements. I mean REALLY, are the tights and leotard that necessary?
Post a Comment